Alpha Kappa Psi honored John Knight on behalf of Reel Pangea Films with the first annual “Student Entrepreneurship Scholarship” Award. Senior hospitality management major Kiara McCoy presented the award during a career panel in Founders Library Browsing room on December 1, 2010 held during the Fraternity’s week to the student entrepreneur. McCoy also serves as the fraternities Scholarship Chair.
Reel Pangea is a campus organization/company geared towards bringing together the Howard University student body, through the development and practice of each other’s crafts, connecting various majors to achieve professional and career-driven tenacity.
When company creator John Knight accepted the award he said, “I was really excited to apply and impressed that a fraternity on campus was giving a scholarship away. I don’t see many organizations doing things like this and truly giving back to students.”
He continued by talking about his struggles and triumphs since creating the business.
“This scholarship will allow my team and I the opportunity to purchase some of our own equipment. We have a contract with the Hilltop now so we’ve really been bringing in revenue and I think this will give us the extra saving money we need to take ourselves to the next level” he said.
The Fraternity awarded the company with $500.00. “I was really passionate about starting this scholarship program because as a student leader and being in a professional business fraternity it seem to go in line with our purpose and chapter goals” said Kiara McCoy.
The award recognizes Howard University students that are entrepreneurs. To be considered you must be a Howard University student, create a business plan and submit all application components prior to the deadline.
Future entrepreneurs have been advice to visit fraternity website regularly to find out information about future scholarships. “I do want this award to be annual so the fraternity will continue to fundraise to make this possible every semester” said McCoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment